Thursday, May 10, 2007

Peter Dreher

The approach
25.01 – 25.02.2007

A room reflected within a simple drinking glass appeals to me because of my mirrorglass studies. When I first heard about him I thought he must be a joke –
Painting the same common glass, in the same position, same place painting a new
picture every day. On seeing the show, I was immediately stunned by how the time of day – the time of year – even the weather was reflected within each painting. The style and attack of the brush mark varied also making me realise he not yet exhausted the study which he has been working on for over thirty years producing more than seven thousand, eight by six inch canvases. From my initial feelings upon hearing about the show and in just thinking it was only an obsessive joke, I was pleased to discover such a rich study of delight and visited it about six times.

No comments: