Thursday, May 10, 2007

Gary Webb

The approach

The mirror wall piece ( Approach Split ) I enjoyed but have issues with, because it so easily lends itself into behaving as mearly being decrative. I preferred the plain coloured mirror piece to the coloured piece which I think overplayed its intention. This problem re-occurs throughout many of his pieces. I do love his idea of having somewhat object based sculpture, which is blending and contrasting many diverse materials, creating many great effects. I love that he will add sounds within the crome and faux fur etc. But for myself, he seems to take it that bit too far, when if he had just held back, I believe he would have had a better piece. Even so with my reservations I still find his work very exciting even with what I consider to be its flaws.

No comments: